Monday, May 2, 2011

My Hypocrisy

Recently I was honored to have one of my essays published in the Virginian Pilot. In the online version of the paper there was a comment made that said I was being hypocritical for receiving a pension from the Military and being eligible for Government provided heath care, while also being a proponent of limited Government. At first I got a little thin skinned about the comments; in fact, I was thankful for another commenter that defended my Military service. In short time I came to my senses; I’ve always known that I would have those that disagree with me. The question about my pension and health care is one I should have been prepared for.

While I support a limited Government and reduced entitlements; I do receive a check from the Government each month, but there is a significant difference. I signed a contract with the Government that stated I would follow their every lawful order without question. In return, I gave up my right to freedom of speech, freedom of the press, the ability to redress for grievances and my family life for 21 years; all in exchange for a pension check. I begrudge no person that has worked for the Government, and fulfilled their contract with the Government, for receiving a pension from the Government. At the same time; if taking away my pension, my earned pension, becomes part of the plan to save our Government from default and for future generations from being slaves to this debt, I will gladly give it up; only after those that are receiving entitlement checks, that are not earned, give up theirs.

Am I being a little thin skinned with this response? Maybe. But I am willing to do what it will take to save our country and get it back on track. Each generation wants to see their children have it easier then they had it, well we can’t say that now, it will not be easier and they will not be better off then we are. I do thank the person that posed the question; it was an honest and fair question.

Steve Avery
5/2/2011

No comments:

Post a Comment